The two adult female black bears and two cubs were all found dead. The culprit behind their deaths? Chocolate.
A bear expert in New Hampshire is now suggesting hunters not use chocolate as bait for hungry bears. The four deaths around September of 2014 were from quite a feast, however: forty pounds of chocolate and donuts.
Theobromine is the chemical in chocolate that is to blame, although its danger is much greater to animals like dogs than to humans. To threaten life, however, it needs to be ingested in large quantities, much larger than can be found in one or two candy bars. In fact, you’re probably safe eating several bars of chocolate, unless you’re a Chihuahua.
If bears are as susceptible to theobromine poisoning as dogs, you better not feed candy bars to your pet Grizzly . . . unless, of course, he’s been getting way out of hand lately and the local zoo is filled up with Grizzly bears.
The extinction of all species of dinosaurs and pterosaurs has been taken for granted . . . ask any kindergartner. But a recent survey of biology professors has revealed some doubt about pterosaur extinctions.
They could not detect any Caffeine at all [in chocolate].
Important words and concepts missing: “Dr. Prothero, a well-known man in his field of paleontology, said nothing about any fossil in his post about me, strange for one who should specialize in fossils. He also said nothing about eyewitness reports, strange for I specialize in those. What did he say? . . . mostly tries to make it appear that I have used improper online publicity methods . . .”